Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cancer Sux!

Ok, so I never came back yesterday like I promised. I took mama to her oncologist appointment and everything spiraled out from there.

She will be starting chemo (Revlimid & Decadron) on Wednesday. For those who do not know, this is to treat a reoccurance of plasmacytoma (meaning one plasma cell tumor) in her head. She was treated with radiation in 2005 for the first round. This treatment will be closer to the treatment for mutiple myeloma (many tumors) even though she only has the one.

She will take Revlimid in 3 week cycles. 3 weeks on, one week off. The length of her treatment is relatively unknown at this point. The doctor said that she may have 2 or 3 in the first appointment but in the latest appointment was vague and dodged my questions. So at this point, it's a wait and see thing.

She is planning on continuing to work while going through this. So it should be interesting.

I will keep posted as I learn more.

10 comments:

mamafish said...

I am so sorry! It does indeed suck. I hope the treatments are successful and that Mama does well with them. Big hugs!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, our prayers are with you and your mom! Hope all goes well!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I even knew about your mom. I'm sorry. I hope your mom does well with them. Big hugs. -- Alyce

Heather said...

I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your mom Lizzie.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to see this Lizzie. I didn't know about your mom being sick. I hope everything goes well with the treatments. Sounds like your mom is pretty tough, continuing to work. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

oh...wow, I am sorry she has to go thru this. tell her to take it easy while she is going thru the treatments. ~KK*

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I'll be praying for her. ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear bout your mom, take those grandbabies around that will make her feel a little better......Kari

Kim Eckhardt said...

I'm sorry, Liz. Let us know if we can do anything to help.