Wednesday, February 18, 2009

God Bless You Rover

I'm dealing with a huge amount of guilt right now...

I was driving home today and had just pulled into Tega Cay. I was cruising along, doing 35 mph (those of you who know Tega Cay, know how these cops are) when a dog ran out, full steam ahead, across the median and right into my car. I slammed on my breaks and screeched to a halt. I never felt any impact, in fact, I wasn't even sure if Rover and I made any contact.

When I had come to a complete stop, I couldn't see the dog anywhere. I was hopeful! That silly old dog probably just missed it and he ran off into the woods, Right?

I moved forward and turned around. For what? I don't know even know whe kept running, I'd never be able to see him.
hat just happened! I could never pick up a dog that I might have just killed. Or if
By the time I'd swung around, I see Rover. There were two guys in a truck picking him up. I pulled up slowly and shamefully and asked if it was his dog. He said no, it wasn't but he was taking it to the vet right up the road. His friend quickly loaded the still breathing and moving Rover into the truck and squealed off.

Now, I have tremendous guilt. So much so, that I can't even bring myself to call the vet to find out if dear Rover survived with a broken leg or was so severly injured that he had to be put down. My friend Carrie said she would call. I haven't asked her though...I'm too afraid.


*******************************************
Please note, I live in a city with leash laws and this dog was clearly not restrained. Infact, he didn't even have tags on!

Ok, that doesn't make me feel better but it does help me realize that it was not entirely my fault. What a sad day for Rover!

No comments: