Sunday, March 1, 2009

I've been thinking...

And I've decided that *I* deserve an award.

My baby Jack will be one year old this coming Saturday. I have breastfed him for an entire year!

I'm presently weaning and down to two feedings a day (one at night and one in the morning). He has been a great little nursling and knew what he was doing from the get-go. We've always enjoyed our special time together.

For the first time, this week I rocked him at nap time, rather than nursing him. He seemed a bit surprised but rolled with it. At first he turned his head to get into "position" but then realized I wasn't offering more. The next day he did the same, by the third day he got it.

It's sort of bittersweet. It's a sign that he's grown into a little boy (with too many teeth). I am a bit saddened but don't *really* want to continue much longer. We are ready for the next phase!

Many many thanks go to my friend Hanna who has always offered great advice, tips and a shoulder to cry on. She has literally been my rock/bible for breastfeeding. She got me through every day of the first 6 weeks. E.V.E.R.Y. D.A.Y. Thank GOD for Han!

2 comments:

mamafish said...

Ahh, you are too kind. It is an awesome awesome thing that you have accomplished. I know how much you wanted to make it happen. Enjoy the warm and fuzzy feelings of completing your goal...capture the memories, because like everything else...they soften and fade. Most of all enjoy having your body back! Hooray for new bras!

Anonymous said...

Yay for you!! I too am weaning Ari but I fear that his age is making him less adaptable then Jack. :( He is not transitioning easily and I wonder if I shouldn't have started sooner. Anyways, congrats on all the breastfeeding. Nice job!